Thursday, July 06, 2006
The Life of an Abused Intern
Hi ok I shall update how wonderful my attachment in the hospital was!
I'm currently working in a very famous and rich hospital, but without pay. The good part is--- I'm not working alone this time. Yan Leng and Manjula are there to accompany me and save me from boredom. LOL. Working hours: 9am -6pm (compared to Guardian 10am-6pm)
On the first day, the chief pharmacist briefed us on the objectives and blah blah blah of the various pharmacy departments in the hospital. Then, me and Manjula was dispatched to the Outpatient Pharmacy in North Tower of the hospital (busiest department!) and we were again briefed. Both of us were dumped into the formulary whereby Yan leng was posted to South Tower. But due to some reason, Yan Leng was transfered to our building but in InPatient department.
My job here was to compare medicines labels with handwritten prescriptions (most of the time I have to guess and if i'm lucky, I will get a neatly written prescription). This task might sound easy, but if you didn't check properly you will get scolding. If everything is ok, I will pick the medicine from the respective shelf. I was quite lost in my first day coz I dunno the location of the medicines (even now!!). The space in the pharmacy is fully packed (and utilized) with medicines (duhz), so finding and getting the medicines involves good memory, eyesight, walking and jumping up and down to get the relevant ones from those super tall shelves. Life in hospital pharmacy isn't that senang compared to retail, but it is sooooooooo busy that you have to stand all day. For some reason, all the chairs went missing in the formulary. Probably they didn't want us to sit down and lepak? My legs are aching and there is a blister popping up in between my toes. aRGH!!!!
Actually I don't mind working as long as I get to learn but I felt really really abused. My objective to work in a hospital is to gain exposure in hospital pharmacy and observe a pharmacist work. Instead, I was treated as a free labour. People who work in the formulary are being paid and we work for free. The stuff I do now doesn't require any special qualifications, an SPM cert is sufficient. Although my name tag states clearly "STUDENT ATTACHMENT", I was assigned to do pharmacy technicians' work. I know they are currently lack of staff and I have a feeling that it was that which created an chance for us to enter the department. In my work area, pharmacists don't permenantly station there. HOW TO OBSERVE LER? I was forced to observe pharmacy technicians since there is an ample bunch of them in my work area. I think Yan Leng is much worse than me. She is like the pharmacy version of office girl although she gets to be closer to pharmacists. She is supposed to deliver medicines to wards, filing stuff, answering the doorbell etc. She kept coming over to our side and helped us to pick some medicines coz she was too bored. Besides, I find the hospital people are less friendly compared to Guardian. It's understandable since the current work enviroment has way more employees. Some of them are very scary and fierce that you just want to maintain a 2 meter radius distance away from them! Haiyo and I'm supposed to work there for 2 months. Dunno whether can tahan or not. HAIH!
OK enough for today. I'm super tired and shall go for my beauty sleep. Hope I get to learn more things tomorrow.
I'm currently working in a very famous and rich hospital, but without pay. The good part is--- I'm not working alone this time. Yan Leng and Manjula are there to accompany me and save me from boredom. LOL. Working hours: 9am -6pm (compared to Guardian 10am-6pm)
On the first day, the chief pharmacist briefed us on the objectives and blah blah blah of the various pharmacy departments in the hospital. Then, me and Manjula was dispatched to the Outpatient Pharmacy in North Tower of the hospital (busiest department!) and we were again briefed. Both of us were dumped into the formulary whereby Yan leng was posted to South Tower. But due to some reason, Yan Leng was transfered to our building but in InPatient department.
My job here was to compare medicines labels with handwritten prescriptions (most of the time I have to guess and if i'm lucky, I will get a neatly written prescription). This task might sound easy, but if you didn't check properly you will get scolding. If everything is ok, I will pick the medicine from the respective shelf. I was quite lost in my first day coz I dunno the location of the medicines (even now!!). The space in the pharmacy is fully packed (and utilized) with medicines (duhz), so finding and getting the medicines involves good memory, eyesight, walking and jumping up and down to get the relevant ones from those super tall shelves. Life in hospital pharmacy isn't that senang compared to retail, but it is sooooooooo busy that you have to stand all day. For some reason, all the chairs went missing in the formulary. Probably they didn't want us to sit down and lepak? My legs are aching and there is a blister popping up in between my toes. aRGH!!!!
Actually I don't mind working as long as I get to learn but I felt really really abused. My objective to work in a hospital is to gain exposure in hospital pharmacy and observe a pharmacist work. Instead, I was treated as a free labour. People who work in the formulary are being paid and we work for free. The stuff I do now doesn't require any special qualifications, an SPM cert is sufficient. Although my name tag states clearly "STUDENT ATTACHMENT", I was assigned to do pharmacy technicians' work. I know they are currently lack of staff and I have a feeling that it was that which created an chance for us to enter the department. In my work area, pharmacists don't permenantly station there. HOW TO OBSERVE LER? I was forced to observe pharmacy technicians since there is an ample bunch of them in my work area. I think Yan Leng is much worse than me. She is like the pharmacy version of office girl although she gets to be closer to pharmacists. She is supposed to deliver medicines to wards, filing stuff, answering the doorbell etc. She kept coming over to our side and helped us to pick some medicines coz she was too bored. Besides, I find the hospital people are less friendly compared to Guardian. It's understandable since the current work enviroment has way more employees. Some of them are very scary and fierce that you just want to maintain a 2 meter radius distance away from them! Haiyo and I'm supposed to work there for 2 months. Dunno whether can tahan or not. HAIH!
OK enough for today. I'm super tired and shall go for my beauty sleep. Hope I get to learn more things tomorrow.
Akistar the Murdererあきのほし left a death note at 4:06 PM
my kaki ordered 0 roti naan(s) garlic cheese
my kaki ordered 0 roti naan(s) garlic cheese